Monday, January 24, 2011

Library = Free Patterns!


I have begun to spend waaaayyyy too much time looking for free patterns online. So the other day when I was at the library, I looked at the collection of crochet books available. I didn't want a "Learn to Crochet" book with scarves and afghans and such, but something with REAL patterns. I found a few that I was interested in and I wanted to quickly review my findings! And go:



I wanted to find some good patterns that my husband might possibly, maybe, kind of tolerate. This book looked like the ticket! Well, he laughed and laughed at every single (EVERY SINGLE) pattern in the book. I have to admit, most of the models really do look like they are wearing their wife's sweater. I actually might make a couple of these for myself, they look so pretty.



Almost the exclusive reason I wanted to learn to knit was to make socks. I LOVE SOCKS! Love. While these are not knit patterns, there are a couple that pretend to be kind of like knit socks with small, tight stitches and skinny yarn. I'm interested in those patterns, not really the big and chunky socks. Also, there are a couple quite disturbing pictures of feet that I don't like (think "toe socks" and you can imagine what I'm talking about). Creepy!



I'm not impressed with the patterns in this book. I am not quite plus size, but I thought I could find a cute sweater pattern that was longer and I could alter it a bit. Well, most of the patterns are a little too froofy for me. If you like lace and embellishments, this book has some great ideas.



This book is great! It has a pretty good variety of patterns - sweaters, jewelry, baby, home, etc. But the best part is that it gives you an estimate of how long each project will take, and it appears that there are none that take more than a total of 30 hours to complete. Nice! I get bored very easily with one long project, so I will most definitely use some of these patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment